Friday, August 31, 2012

August 2012 Bookshelf

Pretend You Don't See Her by Mary Higgins Clark

MHC is a fave author of mine.  She always stumps me.  :)  This time I was close but not close enough - I still didn't figure out the mystery!
Apparently I have read this MHC before although I don't remember it.  Usually I remember the main characters name but this time I didn't so I'm not sure that I really have read it before.  Regardless. I read it and was sucked in just as I have been to almost every MHC I've ever read!
Lacey Farrell is our main character this time.  A real estate agent in NYC she ends up face to face with a murderer one unlucky day. Sucked in to the mystery surrounding the murder of the woman she was meeting plus a death from a few months earlier Lacey finds herself in danger as she stumbles upon clues that will eventually lead to the killer and reason for all the deaths.
In typical MHC the reader ends up suspecting almost every character in the book because MHC does such a great job of throwing the reader off the trail of the real culprit.  She does it again in this book and I am reminded why I love her so much.



And that's it!  I know, I'm in disbelief myself.  Here's the deal. I read the above book at the first of August - started 2 more books but haven't read since August 6ish.  Again, disbelief.  And yes, I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms from not reading.  :)  Seriously.  Life kind of blew up for our family with the beginning of school - new ones - and a change in our schedules.  And even though in other months of busy life I've been able to still read it was actually not possible this month.  So one book read this whole month and 2 that I'm in the beginning chapters of.  I KNOW!  DISBELIEF!!  It makes me wonder what September will bring because we have got a crazy schedule in September - our oldest redhead made JV Softball.  And now you know why I haven't been able to read and may not be able to in September! :)

Because I only read one book in August I thought I would go backwards in time and "review" for you one of my most favorite books of all time.  I read it often.  I bet I've read it 20 times.  It probably won't ever make it on a monthly bookshelf since I've read it so many times so here's my "review" of a favorite read.  :)



I was first introduced to "Rebecca" in Junior High.  I was required to choose a book for a book report and don't remember how but "Rebecca" landed in my hands...and not soon after my heart as well. 
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again", and so begins the wonderful story of Rebecca. 
Rebecca is told through the voice of Mrs. de Winter, the reader never does find out her first name.  Our narrator is the second Mrs. de Winter, the first was Rebecca who was married to Maxim de Winter before she died.  Our narrator meets Maxim while he is on holiday and she too.  He quickly woos her and she suddenly finds herself the new mistress of Manderley.  She arrives at Manderley to mixed reception and Maxim acts like a completely different person living under its roof.  And so begins a tale of mystery as the new Mrs. de Winter tries to discover the truth about Rebecca and her life and death. 
Daphne DuMaurier wrote a classic piece of literature with "Rebecca".  It is rich in character and plot development.  She weaves into it a mystery that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat.  She employs language that grabs the reader and keeps them engaged.  It is, quite simply, a beautiful piece of literature. 
I love that this book grabbed my attention and heart at such a young age.  I love that from its first line I got "it".  I got the beauty and depth of DuMaurier's work in "Rebecca."  And now every time I read it, and I have read it a lot - it's the equivalent of a security blanket for me when it comes to reading, I fall in love with it all over again.  I practically swoon when talking about this book and thinking about this book!   
In 1993 an author decided to attempt a sequel to "Rebecca".  I wish I could tell you I didn't fall for it but I did.  What a mistake.  One, if any sequel was to be written DuMaurier would have done it herself before her passing.  Two, if you are going to attempt to sequel such an amazing piece of literature then don't do it while butchering the original work.  Susan Hill's sequel titled "Mrs. de Winter" was a huge disappointment.  Fortunately it was so poorly done that it was easy to forget.  I remember that upon reading it and having a bad taste in my mouth I did what any one who loves "Rebecca" would do...I went and picked up "Rebecca" and read it again and then all was right in the world again. 
If you haven't read "Rebecca" I, of course, recommend you do.  It is rare I come across a person who didn't like it.  It is a fine, fine piece of literature.  In fact, I'm about due to read it again.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.